Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Katrina made the unthinkable reality 13 years ago


On August 29, 2005, Hurrican Katrina made landfall just east of New Orleans. The following is a column from The Welsh Citizen, written  by me on a Tuesday afternoon 13 years ago:


 What many feared finally happened. Hurricane Katrina, one of the worst hurricanes ever

recorded in this country, made landfall early Monday morning, August 29.
Katrina didn’t seem too scary at first. She made landfall in southern Florida as a Category 1 hurricane, went out in the Gulf and rapidly built up power. The fearful weather front aimed at the Louisiana coast. Was New Orleans going to get a direct hit? What would happen? Would she take a more western path? What would then happen with us?
The killer hurricane hit the coast south of New Orleans but made a last minute turn towards the east. The eye just missed the city, but was devastating for The Big Easy’s neighbors in Mississippi and Alabama.
On Monday I was going to Crowley to prepare the newspaper for the press. I went straight to Crowley fairly early in the morning because I had no idea that to expect on I-10.
It was weird traveling eastward that morning. Hardly no traffic at all. I wasn’t passed by one single vehicle during the half an hour it took me to drive over to Crowley, and I did not pass anyone up either. I am not sure if I even saw 10-15 cars driving east or west that morning. It was right around 7:30 a.m. and the highway is usually busy at that time.
I went back to Welsh but took a break at the rest area just east of Jennings. It was crowded.
Everyone I talked to was from New Orleans. Most of the travelers had spent the night at the rest area. Some even put up tents. People were sleeping on the ground; others were sitting in their cars trying to get relatives over the cell phone.
One doesn’t see taxi cabs from New Orleans too often in this neck of the wood. Shah Malik was sitting in his cab
waiting, not for passengers, but for a word from home in New Orleans.
A school bus driver, Linda McCall from the New Orleans West Bank, had loaded up her family in the bus to seek shelter away from the storm.
Another family had loaded up two cars with 15 cats, eight dogs, three ferrets, three parrots, a guinea pig, plus Smiley the Frog. They were also from the Westbank and had not even considered getting a hotel room. All animals were doing well and the five people seemed to do well,
too. A family from Slidell had loaded up the trailer with their three dogs. They ended up near Jennings because earlier rest areas were even busier. They also knew that they were safe from the storm.
Every one of these individuals from all walks of life had something in common that morning. “I want to get back as
soon as possible to see what I have left.” They all made that comment even if it was worded differently.
The storm passed and New Orleans seemed to have fared as well as could be expected. I was not the only one that took a deep breath of relief Monday evening. On Tuesday morning news
reported that a levee broke and water was now coming into the central parts of New Orleans. There had been reports on Tuesday on flooded areas near Lake Pontchartrain. I just got back from the TV set at home. I had to drag myself away from the CNN broadcast. The coast guard was working hard rescuing people from their flooded homes. Only the roofs were sticking up from the water. Some structures were on fire. Looting on Canal Street was reported. The scenes on the TV screen are almost impossible to describe.
What was happening to this beautiful city? I had loose plans on Monday evening to try to take off from work get over to New Orleans. A guy from Malmö, Sweden was stranded in a hotel and I was asked by a Swedish newspaper if it was possible for me to get in touch with him and other Swedish tourists for a report. That proved to be impossible.
The question is now – what will New Orleans be like after this? How much demolition is there? What about the damage from the flooding?
I hope that New Orleans can be brought back to its former beauty. I am optimistic it is possible.
And let’s not forget the human sacrifices. Many lives were lost. We don’t know how
many yet. At least not on this Tuesday afternoon.

Editor’s note: The column
was written on Tuesday,
September 30 and published in The Welsh Citizen on September, 6, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment